Conscious Christmas
The end of the year always means that the spirit of giving and receiving is in the air. Have I already bought presents for family members? Yes. Are they sustainable in any way shape or form? Not all of them. One, because I'm not going to force them to align with my own goals, two, I'd rather give them the gifts they want than give them something they might not enjoy.
As for my own holiday wish list, I've only asked for one big present. Something that will make creating and eventually selling art easier to manage. The rest of the time, when people have been asking me what I want, I've been telling them to donate to a charity in my name if they really must spend money on something for me.
I realized that consumerism and spending are so deeply ingrained in our lives now. Family has still been asking "But what do you really want?" I want to make the world a better place. If you think stuff needs to be attached to that to make me happy, then print out a certificate on recycled paper. Purchase something from the UNICEF Love Myself campaign through BigHit and support the charity that my favorite humans have created. Leave the world a better place today than you found it yesterday.
Through my own needs to clarify my "gift" list, I've compiled links for some great charities and proceeds go-to-cause websites. Maybe this will help anyone else in a similar boat.
1. The BigHit store through which you can purchase items from the Love Myself campaign (It will load in Korean, give your browser a moment to correct that). BTS is the flagship idol group from company BigHit based out of South Korea. Their goal has been to make the world a better place through music and they have teamed up with UNICEF for their Anti-Violence campaign. You can see more of their goal and make a donation on their Love Myself Website.
2. UnitedbyBlue is a retailer that not only sells quality camping and outdoor gear, but for every purchase they pledge to remove 1 pound of trash from waterways. While getting stuff isn't exactly what I'm trying to advertise, this is another way for a family member to make a donation and still have something to give you to show for it. You can click HERE to read about their campaign to raise Money for victims of the Camp Fire. (They have already reached their goal and have sold out of the mugs, but for the camper in your life, you can still consider a purchase from this company and help clean trash from our water)
3. Tentree is another company that gives back to the environment with each purchase. They will plant 10 trees across the globe when you buy from them. They also provide you with a token that you can use to look up where your trees were planted and how they grow. You do not need to register the token to have your trees planted.
4. Colored Organics is a brand for the little ones. They provide organic children's clothes for you and every purchase helps a child in need. Plus their clothes are cute as a button. I have a new nibling coming right around Christmas time, I may have caved and bought a pair of the Kimono Onesie for the soon to be new little.
This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what you can give and REALLY give during the holidays (and year round too!) Sustainability is always going to be something I try to achieve and while I'm still working on it, if even a little bit of this blog can help someone else, I'd be happy.
As for my own holiday wish list, I've only asked for one big present. Something that will make creating and eventually selling art easier to manage. The rest of the time, when people have been asking me what I want, I've been telling them to donate to a charity in my name if they really must spend money on something for me.
I realized that consumerism and spending are so deeply ingrained in our lives now. Family has still been asking "But what do you really want?" I want to make the world a better place. If you think stuff needs to be attached to that to make me happy, then print out a certificate on recycled paper. Purchase something from the UNICEF Love Myself campaign through BigHit and support the charity that my favorite humans have created. Leave the world a better place today than you found it yesterday.
Through my own needs to clarify my "gift" list, I've compiled links for some great charities and proceeds go-to-cause websites. Maybe this will help anyone else in a similar boat.
1. The BigHit store through which you can purchase items from the Love Myself campaign (It will load in Korean, give your browser a moment to correct that). BTS is the flagship idol group from company BigHit based out of South Korea. Their goal has been to make the world a better place through music and they have teamed up with UNICEF for their Anti-Violence campaign. You can see more of their goal and make a donation on their Love Myself Website.
2. UnitedbyBlue is a retailer that not only sells quality camping and outdoor gear, but for every purchase they pledge to remove 1 pound of trash from waterways. While getting stuff isn't exactly what I'm trying to advertise, this is another way for a family member to make a donation and still have something to give you to show for it. You can click HERE to read about their campaign to raise Money for victims of the Camp Fire. (They have already reached their goal and have sold out of the mugs, but for the camper in your life, you can still consider a purchase from this company and help clean trash from our water)
3. Tentree is another company that gives back to the environment with each purchase. They will plant 10 trees across the globe when you buy from them. They also provide you with a token that you can use to look up where your trees were planted and how they grow. You do not need to register the token to have your trees planted.
4. Colored Organics is a brand for the little ones. They provide organic children's clothes for you and every purchase helps a child in need. Plus their clothes are cute as a button. I have a new nibling coming right around Christmas time, I may have caved and bought a pair of the Kimono Onesie for the soon to be new little.
This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what you can give and REALLY give during the holidays (and year round too!) Sustainability is always going to be something I try to achieve and while I'm still working on it, if even a little bit of this blog can help someone else, I'd be happy.
Comments
Post a Comment