living consciously?

Since making the decision to live consciously I have been working to fill my definition of that idea and to help express myself to others in that vein.

I think that what is most important to me is being aware of what my daily decisions impact.  Example, I've had 5 phone cases in a year and a half because I kept changing my mind, my tastes, or I wanted more protection for my phone.  I already know that technology itself is something that is constantly evolving and right now too big and out of scope for me to approach it as consciously as I'm approaching clothes and belongings.  What goes on my technology on the other hand, well I don't need 5 phone cases.  I recycled the ones that will not fit my new phone.  I'm going to sell or give away one that I bought on a whim for a band that I don't really enjoy as a case and doesn't offer protection for the phone.  It's excessive, who needs that many cases in a year? 

I suppose I don't need a phone case, but ultimately I will drop this new phone. So I did take advantage of a Black Friday deal to purchase a case that is made from plant fibers and fully biodegradable.  The purchase of this case also gives 5% Save the Waves a program that helps support and protect coastal ecosystems.  I knew I would need a case to protect my phone, but I can chose to spend on something that has an impact.  That's the kind of living I'm hoping to well, live.  You can See the phone case I'm talking about Here.

I'm not perfect. Far from and goodness I do hope to get better with time.  I've thrown out a lot today, which is more wasteful than I am trying to be.  The husband and I cleaned our main floor for several hours. I still have boxes of things from my parent's house that I haven't sorted through in months. a good portion of it went into the trash because it was broken, or actual trash that has managed to accumulate under the guise of being a "memory". I have a nice big box filled with things that are still in good condition and will be donated and given a second chance at a life. 

All I can keep thinking about is how much crap I have.  There's so much of it that I just don't need, look at, use, want, enjoy, but I still keep it around because of some weird correlation of stuff= happiness.  The truth is clutter=dissatisfaction and I want to be clutter free.

My decision to start aiming for a more minimalist lifestyle is to help me appreciate the things I have, and to really THINK about what I'm adding to my home when I make a purchase. 

(I am not receiving any kind of compensation from Pela cases with this post)

Comments

Popular Posts